Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Welcome to 8th Grade Science!

We all have ideas about what it means to study science or to be a scientist. Study the pictures above and decide which photos show scientists or science and which do not. 

In your written comment:
  • describe which photo (or photos) you think represent scientists and explain why
  • describe which photo (or photos) do no represent scientists and explain why
  • include required components (see rubric handed out in class)
Everyone is required to comment to this post by Friday, September 11.  PLease see Ms. Larson if you have any questions!

20 comments:

  1. I think that all of the pictures show scientists. I think this because all of the pictures show people doing something scientific. Even camping is science. None of the pictures don't show people doing science.
    Emily H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i believe that all of these pictures include science and or the study of science.
    picture one includes a man analyzing scenery.
    the human body alone is a scientific miricle.
    the eyes he sees the scenery with and the thought process which is science in its self.
    the second picture also includes analyzation, but it's of plants. which is also a scientific system.
    all of these pictures include life forms, which is all science related. living organisms are all based on scientific systems.
    -morgan p.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe this is ALL science, just many different types. For example, the Astronaut in the photo is a scientist, He studys space and its planets. Also, I believe the photo with the people looking at the plants is a study of plants, which is called Botany, I think.
    -Marah D

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think this picture is actually pretty cool.
    it really makes you think about all the different scientists in the world. the one that stood out to me the most was probably the astronaut because thats not what you see everyday. it also makes you think that you dont have to be wearing a white jacket and goggles just to be a scientist. anyone can be one if they put their mind to it.
    -mariah a.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason Y.
    I believe that all of these pictures are of scientists and/or science. All of these pictures represent different types of sciences. My favorite one is where the people wearing hard hats are excavating the rock because geology interests me greatly. I can’t wait for the great year to come for 8th grade science!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adelicia Newall;
    I think that all the pictures show a kind of science. Science is any where from taking pictures togoing into space. Science is everywhere. We have science in everyday life that we dont see like in flowers and wildlife. everything is sience. So nothing is not science.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adelicia Newall;
    I think science is everything. Science is in all of those pictures. Science can be anything from learning about plants and wildlife to taking pictures. Science can not be hidden. none of those pictures are not science. Science is everywhere and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Majority of the pictures in the collage do represent science/scientist. They are good representations because they each show a type a science in some way or form. The only picture that doesn’t represent science/scientist is the very center one (i.e. the woman and man with their hands on a tree) because it shows no relation to any kind of science related subject. Next, a personal connection I have with one of the photos in the collage is of the middle left hand picture involving three guys next to two robot-like machines. I can relate to this because I have entered a contest where I had to make a robot-like figure that had to meet a certain criteria. Finally, a connection I have that relates to my science class material is that in class we have done a lab type experiment just like what those kids are doing in the bottom left hand corner.

    - Shelby Burkhart

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pictures I think represent scientists [not going to put all down] are the first two vertical ones. The reason why is because the first picture looks like the man is recording something,,,i most likely think its a mountain or volcano [other things too]
    And the second picture looks like the two people are collecting samples of a plant.
    Also the first picture reminds me of a video we watched last year in Mr.O'Briends class in science about Volcanoes.

    The pictures I don't think represent scientists are, the middle picture at the bottom, and the top right picture.
    The one in the middle looks more like a photo before the person goes into space...since there's a spaceshuttle in the back. And the top right one looks like any picture you'd randomly find on the internet if you searh "scientists"
    - Juanita R.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my opinion, i think that all of the pictures represent studying science or being a scientist. I believe this because in all of the photos the people are observing, testing, or representing science and scientists. All people who study, observe, and/or test science are considered scientists so all of the people here are scientists. Thus concluding, all of the pictures represent knowledge of science or being a scientist.
    -Ashly Lumpkin

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that all the pictures explain science and scientists exept for the top and bottum right pictures. Because they have poeple using and studding scientiffic things like telescopes and the earth. The pictures also explain science with chemistry, geography, robotics, and astronemy. Also the top middle picture is interesting because they look like students like us that are studding a plant and recording data.
    Nathan Adams

    ReplyDelete
  12. the first,second,third photos on row 1 are scientist because the first one ahows a man studdying the stars. the third one shows women mixing chemicals together. the second photo shows two people next to two small cars that they made.

    in the second row third photo shows a man standing with a space helmet and doesnt really show anything scientific or anything to do with science .

    Ismael Arribeno
    2nd period

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that all the photos show sientist's because they are all doing sciece but in diffrent ways.
    -Ashley Van Camp

    ReplyDelete
  14. In my opinion, I think that all the photos show and are scientists. The reason for this is because on all the pictures there's some kind of science. On all the photos there has to do something with testing, observing, and figuring out and I believe this means science. In class we have been taking a bit of notes and the picture at the bottom left corner has some people writing something down. This picture also reminds me of the sailing trip I went on last year because there we had to take notes on all kinds of things.

    Sergey P.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i think its a good idea to study science go science and dylan.g

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the photos show a bunch of different scientist's doing scientist stuff.... Lol what I mean by that is that they are all doing something related to science.

    -Damion W.

    ReplyDelete
  17. the picture showes scientist working together and
    also it shows workers

    joe anthony v.

    ReplyDelete
  18. RUty: OMG THATS ME said TWO PICS THAT MOSTLY SEEMED LIKE SCIENTES ARE THE LINE PEOPLE IN A WHITE LAB COAT AND THE CRAZY WIERDO CARTOON DUDE

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ilya K-

    I think that every thing in the pictures is either science or has to do with science.My favorite picture is the one with the car robot things.I think its amazing on how people with such creativity can make those machines.I also think that the astraunought in one of the pics is a great pic that explaines of his career.Its a great picture!And the one with the guys in yellow hats examining the rock(s) is also science even though it doesnt look like it,but they are examining rocks and possibly minerals or it could be anything,its science.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think the 7th picture represents scientists
    because all the people in the picture have people in science coats

    Neel C

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to include your first name and last initial at the end of your comment to receive credit.